So Valentine’s day is around the corner and I wanted to make something special to give to friends and to myself (duh!). There are a lot of options out there, so many ideas and adverts popping up in every corner but I am possessed by the spirit of DIY!! My ideal Valentine’s day will include flowers, candles, baths, massages (spa day anyone!!), and good food alone or with friends. But hey, I do not need to wait till Valentine’s day to do all these for myself and the people I care about. I also do not need to go to a spa to get the spa experience and you needn’t as well (unless you really want to).
I encourage people to take time out regularly (and not just on one day in the entire year) to relax and unwind and my gift ideas suggests this not-so-subtly to my recipients. You can use these at home to create or recreate your very best spa experience. So without further ado, my list includes (but isn’t limited to);
- Candles. Most likely made out of beeswax like this. You can have it scented or leave it unscented to get a light honey scent which I absolutely prefer. I will not go into how candles create great ambience and all that because I know you know that already. You can design your jar to make it look pretty, or get creative with the wax colouring. I like to keep things simple and timeless with a ribbon (or two).
- Perfume oils for your skin and room. You can also include an incense burner, potpourri or diffuser. I mostly use a ceramic incense burner or a steamer.
- Massage oils and bars. Exotic carrier oils, waxes and butters can be lightly scented using essential oils with relaxing and aphrodisiac scents like ylang ylang, jasmine, rose otto, sandalwood, lavender, etc. You can take turns in giving and receiving massages.
- Fizzy bath and shower bombs can fill your bath or shower room with amazing scents to make you feel relaxed, refreshed and energized.
- Natural body scrubs to exfoliate. Thank me when you start feeling yourself and you compare your skin to silk. You can follow this or this to create yours.
- Herbal face packs (which can include masks so you can get your beauty on while relaxing, watching TV, gossiping, etc). You can try this one or come back next year. I’m sure by then I will have posted many more face mask recipes. #sorrynotsorry.
- Body butters to retain moisture after your bath and keep your skin supple. I have some recipes on here somewhere. You can also do well with anhydrous formulations too but that’s in a post for later.
- For my freaky readers, you can follow this post to create your own lubricants with scents (and flavours) that you like. Be sure to wash off completely if using these additives though.
These are just a few ideas you could try. You can give all in one as a gift box or pick out a few and watch your family’s, friend’s or lover’s face light up. They’ll feel special, knowing you made these just for them. If you do not feel up to it (even though I think you are just being lazayy or doubting yourself), you can always order customized items from artisans (like me) that make these with all the LOVE!!
P. S.: I would’ve loved to have so many formulae/ideas for you to pick from but this being a baby blog, it’s not quite there yet. On the bright side though, you can always show love to your peoples in March, or May, December, or whenever, so keep coming back here to get more ideas.